The Sleep Health Foundation (SHF) is a peak community and advocacy body for sleep health in Australia. Our vision is improving people’s lives through better sleep. Our mission is to promote better sleep to optimise health, well-being and performance for all Australians.
The SHF strives to deepen community understanding of the importance of sleep for health and performance; why sleep disorders need professional diagnosis and treatment; and, to provide information about common sleep difficulties and how to address them.
As Australia’s leading sleep health advocate, the SHF strives to develop policy informed by multiple perspectives including consumers of sleep health services, the sleep therapy industry and a broad range of clinicians.
The SHF is seeking expressions of interest from community members with a range of experiences with poor sleep and sleep disorders to join and contribute to a newly formed Consumer Reference Council. The consumer representatives will have lived experience with a broad range of sleep disorders including obstructive sleep apnoea, insomnia, narcolepsy, idiopathic hypersomnia, restless leg syndrome, REM behaviour disorders, shift work disorder, delayed sleep wake phase disorders and adolescent sleep disorders.
The primary function of the Consumer Reference Council will be to provide strategic and advisory input to the SHF Board on matters relating to advocacy, education, partnerships and research, to ensure that the consumer voice and perspective are heard and at the core of all SHF activities.
- To provide input and guidance for all SHF activities including advocacy, education, partnerships and research activities from a consumer perspective.
- To facilitate consumer representation in the development and design of research grant proposals, to align research objectives with the areas of importance to consumers.
- To be the main SHF point of contact for other sleep disorder community groups wishing to engage with sleep experts.
Consumer Council Membership and Meetings
The Council will consist of consumers with:
- Lived experiences of major sleep disorders including obstructive sleep apnoea, insomnia, narcolepsy, idiopathic hypersomnia, restless leg syndrome, REM behaviour disorders, shift work disorder, and adolescent sleep/delayed sleep-wake phase disorder.
- Individuals with lived experiences of sleep disturbances comorbid with cognitive and mental health conditions.
- Individuals experiencing poor sleep quality.
All consumer members will be invited by the SHF Board for a 2-year term, with an option of further 2 x 2 year terms on review and if invited by the Board to extend.
The Council will hold at least four meetings per year, or more as the Chairperson may determine. A member of the Council may attend a meeting via telephone or video conference rather than in person. At a meeting of the Committee, a quorum consists of three members.
Expressions of interest should describe in 250 words your experience with sleep disorders and why you would like to contribute to the Consumer Reference Council. Council members will be selected by the Council Chair and the SHF Board and the selected members will be invited to join the Council via email by COB Friday, 16 July 2021 unless advised otherwise.
Expressions of interest close at COB on Friday, 11 June 2021
Patient Reference Council Chair
Sleep Health Foundation