Back to School sleep tips.
Now is the time to start getting your children back into the school time sleep routine.
Top tips for getting into a back-to-school sleep schedule:
- Move bedtimes up by 30 minutes each night until you’ve hit the target time for bed.
- Turn off the television, electronics such as video games and iPods about an hour before bedtime.
- Make sure your kids are getting the proper amount of exercise each day. Exercise can help your body increase the deep sleep it needs each night.
- If your child cannot sleep in total silence, invest in a white noise machine or turn on a fan.
- Don’t confuse your child’s sleep pattern by changing the bedtime on weekends. Keep the same sleep time all week long.
Children need between nine and 10 hours sleep a night. Helping your child get into a good sleep routine will benefit their academic performance and help them become more engaged in activities in and outside of school.
Students who get between nine and ten hours of sleep a night perform at their highest level.
For more information see our Sleep Tips for Children information sheet.